Saturday, May 12, 2007

Melaka 050507

ST, Peng and I went to Melaka last weekend. We drove up to Melaka on Sat morning. I volunteered to drive and it was fun.

By the way, view all photos here

I spent RM70+ the moment we got in Melaka's Tan Kim Hock shop on tidbits...Kind of regret. haha. Anyway, we went look for the famous chicken rice ball shops afterward.

This shop, looks very pretty. But this wasn't the one we went. ST said the food here was not delicious.



I forgot to take the photo of the shop's name. It's 何记鸡饭粒, if not mistaken. This place looks like 客栈, very nice~
The chicken rice, the rice itself was fantastic~~ very strong favour. However, the chicken.... very hard to chew.................. what a pity, else I would give it 9 points out of 10. Now, perhaps 7.

Melaka is full of old style shops. I keep wondering are these people's houses or just shops? Whatever it is they are very pretty. They remind me of the streets of Terengganu. There are shops like these too in Terengganu but not as many and not as flamboyant.

This shop.. too bad there's no shop name visible from here. I didn't notice the "No photo" signs in the shop. And the shop is quite pretty and I wanted to take photo of Peng looking at things. And the shop asst could have tell me nicely about the signs. Instead she used a very harsh tone and said "Miss, you cannot take photos here. There are signs everywhere." What's the big deal? They sell key chains and small pouches and stuff like that. And there are plenty of shops selling the exact same items on Jonker Street. What is the fucking big deal? So I took their photo from outside instead.

We went look for LW pineapple tart which KR told me is very famous. Before I take the photos I even asked the shop asst whether I can do so.... sekali they also fucking stuck up. The tarts here are indeed very nice. They are not too sweet which is what I dislike most about most of the tarts in JB. Nowadays I only buy those pineapple tarts from Malay stalls. Cos the tarts are not overly loaded with pineapple which are too sweet for my teeth.......

Typical facade on Jonker Walk. Can I use the word "facade" like this?? I'm not sure.

Another famous thing, Donalds and Lily cendol.
If you are not having food, you cannot eat the cendol upstairs, away from the hot sun.... Reason given was the shop is too small to accommodate everyone who comes eat only cendol, which is true.
I am not a big fan of desserts including cendol. So don't ask me was it good or whether it taste special... I think I only ate less than 3 times of cendol in my life

On the way to St Paul's Church. Try to imagine ourselves,back in time, observing the Melaka Straits for other ships, etc... haha...

St Paul's Church, I should say ruined St Paul's Church.


Those big big "tablets", each one is a gravestone of someone. These 2 people here sang very very well~ We thought of giving them some money for their good voices BUT I think they themselves placed some money on the guitar box. And those were RM5 and RM10. Which kind of tell you we don't want no RM1 or RM2.... We thought RM5 is kind of too much so we didn't give any.

I just love to shoot sun rays like this.

We visited a museum.. don't know exactly the name of the museum... never took noticed. At ground floor was "People's Museum" and "Gasing Museum". 1st floor was showcasing kites. It was very run down... Many kites were torn...


Second floor is the reason I came into this museum, "Endurance Beauty Museum". Before this trip I received an email showing actual 三寸金莲 wearer's feet. It was horrible... The whole foot was deformed... scary... Imagine how to walk in these shoes... It fits only one toe in front...



And these... They grind their teeth sharp like in these photos.

My guess is they eat raw meat everyday huh? but grind unti these small... it'll break off easily if they eat raw meat... so.. I guess they just thought it's pretty...

Most of us know about these. But I never knew the people in Africa have the practise to elongate their neck too.

I once saw a documentary, they use sharp blade to cut small wounds (each about 1 inch) on their body, mainly the back, usually cover the whole back like this. I think they also apply something to make it have scars or what. So when heals it looks similar to this picture. Scary....


I know corset is tight, but I didn't know it is THIS tight...........

THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING ONE.....................................

How on earth they got the idea of decorating themselves like this???

The sample shown here... when it rains she will definitely drink a lot.........

How do they kiss??? How do they make love when there is one big "plate" between them??? Perhaps they take it down at night?? But like that... when the man kiss the woman... he can kiss and bite her lip until very far......................

This one... is it the nasal???? My God..... How does he breathe...????!!!

This is at Dataran Pahlawan.

There are painting on the staircases.

Outside the istana or smthg.

Peng had a hard time to stop laughing. haha...



There's a sign asking people not to do harm to the tree.

It was extremely hot that day. There's even moisture inside these souvenir. How come there's moisture in it?? from the wood? Strange...

It would make a nice picture had it not been the 2 motorcycles.. totally spoilt the image. haha..

Zheng Ho Museum. The entrance fee is RM10, not expensive but we were not interested. The lady inside was kind enough to explain to us what was showcasing inside. Feel kind of sorry to walk away.
STill functioning St Francis Xavier Church. It was built in 1800+ yr. Can't remember exactly.

Dinner time~ The famous Capitol Satay Celup shop. We were told it's not open until nearly 7pm..but we were there before 6pm and it was already almost full house~! Peng hurriedly went in to find the last available table. Lucky us~ cos soon after there were many people queing outside..

Michelle Cheah, Adrian Pang, Sharon Au, Mark Lee etc were here.


This was the first time ST and I eat luk-luk. It wasn't very fantastic to me. Just another type of steamboat. I would not think of eating it for the second time. Not that it tastes bad but I am just not a fan of steamboat.

The famous Jonker Walk. There was a karaoke competition going on. To me there's nothing special about this Jonker Walk, just another pasar malam. Lots of stalls here, but 70% of the stalls were selling the same thing.

Peng chilling out in bed. We were staying in Baba House. RM120 for a tripple room. Not bad.

Our 战利品

This is 宝山亭.

This well never run dry. As expected, any well in tourist spots will have money in it, people making wishes regardless the history of the well. But the sign on the well said if you wish to come here again, please throw in some money or coin...


Besides the 宝山亭, there's a monument commerates those who died in 2nd World War, something like that. Not very interested in history.

We had lunch at Baba Restaurant. This restaurant is really pretty. The food was tasty but not a lot of difference from Chinese food leh..


There's even a 轿子...

Now you see it

Now you don't~

The very 客栈feel counter, with Visa and Master sign on it... hehe...

The Malaccan sky. It seemed to be less clouds in Melaka. Perhaps because of its location near the sea.. I don't know. On our way back, the closer we were to JB the more clouds there were.

In the center of the Baba House. Nice~
That's all, our trip to Melaka. Can't believe I have taken so many photos in a 1 1/2 day trip. haha... Driving somewhere with friends is fun~

No comments: