Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Power of Love

The power of love, is great, yet sometimes deadly.

Everybody knows that. Some people do great things for love, some people do destructive things for love… Recently we had a bad news of a friend. We are not sure of the details but we heard she ended her life because of love troubles. We are not sure how true that is.. Whatever it was, I hope she rests in peace. It was her life. She chose this way and who are we to comment about it?

When somebody chose death because of love, generally people will say he/she is stupid or silly, or not worth the compassion. But what do WE know? Those who chose this way, he/she must have been the loneliest, saddest, helpless at that point of time. Easy for us to say that was stupid.

The death of this friend, was a big impact to me. Regardless the reason of her death, she must have been extremely helpless... I know how that feels. For I almost had the same destiny 2 years ago. Nobody will understand how lonely one can feel even amongst crowds of people unless they experience it themselves.

She was such a lovely and cheerful girl. I was a cheerful girl in the past too. Well, outwardly I am still that cheerful girl. But sometimes, outwardly cheerful and crazy people, have a darker personality that doesn’t show…

Well, enough about sad things.

The power of love, is great. Everybody agrees on that. Sometimes I wonder why. People who believe in a particular religion, will sometimes change their religion for her/his husband/wife. But I always wonder, If you believe in one particular religion, how can you just change your believes overnight? I guess religion, to some people is just some "decoration" for life. That’s why it can be changed overnight. In this case, "love" overpowers "God".

Because of love, people changed their religion. One who used to love beef will stop eating them because his/her other half's believe is not allowed to eat beef. If I were to marry a Muslim, I'd probably continue to eat pork outside the home. Perhaps I am a bit different with people.. perhaps I am a weirdo. Most people will think what I've mentioned (stop eating beef/pork because of your other half's religion) is the right thing to do. But to me, I don't feel that's a MUST thing to do for love. I can love my other half so deep even to die for him. But eating beef/pork won't make me love him less.

I guess the problem is I simply don't believe in religion. What is religion when it can be changed so easily? Where is the conviction? Might as well don't believe in one. My life conviction is, do not do things that will harm people. I don't care if there is a God or Gods. For believing in this impossible-to-prove-God does not bring benefits to my life. But still I always wonder, why people changed their life-time believes overnight for their husband/wife. Then where does the believe stand? Just because of love? Then where is the love for their God? hmm... the power of love really is greater than the power of God, I guess.

No comments: