Friday, November 06, 2009

Another letter to Reader's Digest

I subscribed to Discovery Magazine last year. Little did I know that it is a magazine managed under Reader's Digest. If I KNEW, I would NEVER have subscribed it. NEVER. I would rather go to bookstore to buy it every month, because I loathe Reader's Digest. As I mentioned before, I hate their marketing tactic, telling you you have won RMxxx,xxx.00 in their every mail.

My subscription started from Aug 08. In March 2009, the book dealer's(I think not directly from Reader's Digest) staff called me and told me my subscription is going to expire soon and asked if I want to renew. I was like ...????? It was March! My subscription is supposed to end in Aug 09!!! I told him : No. And I don't intend to renew it at all since RD started bombarding me with their stupid mails.

Today I received the magazine and in it, the usual "you can win RMxxx,xxx.00" letter and also a part asking me to pay for the renewal. I am really pissed. So, I wrote them an email :

My name is Ng Wei Li. I received a letter from RD asking me to pay RM149 to renew my subscription of Discovery Magazine. In your letter it was stated "A few weeks ago, with your last issue of Discovery Channel Magazine, I wrote to remind you that your subscription to the magazine would be continued as promised for a further year..." .

I received no such letter. There was no letter enclosed with the magazine.

Previously a staff from Transforma Sdn Bhd has called me and asked if I'd like to continue my subscription and I gave him a clear answer : no. It should therefore be rightly considered that I am stopping my subscription after the last issue of my 1 year subscription. I had never agreed that "my subscription be continued unless instructed otherwise".

I DO NOT wish to continue my subscription for Discovery Magazine. Please cancel my subscription immediately. Should you want me to return the magazine I just received I would be more than happy to do so.

Ironically, RD's email address is : friends@rdasia.com.my. I ain't wanna be no friends with Reader's Digest, I'm telling ya.

Just last week or so, I discovered a new magazine, published in Singapore but it's under BBC. It's called "Knowledge". I'd be much happier to subscribe to this instead. It's a pity that Discovery Magazine is published under Reader's Digest, such a pity.

No comments: