Saturday, November 21, 2009

Bodyworld

I went to see the Body Worlds Exhibition with my friend Jessie. It's really funny how I ended up going to this exhibition.

One day Jessie asked if I want to visit this exhibition about human body at Science Centre. She wasn't sure the exhibition name in English so I couldn't look it up on the net. I went to Science Ctr website but I didn't really see it. It actually has a website of its own but I didn't know then. And I have never heard of this exhibition. Neither have I saw it in newspaper nor tv.

But, not many friends enjoy going to see (any) exhibitions, thus I was thinking, since someone asked me to go for an exhibition, I should just grab the opportunity and just go, whatever the exhibition is. hahahaha..... So I said ok, let's go.

Days later I saw it on tv, I was busy with other things, I didn't read indepth about this exhibition. I just went to the website and purchased tickets as it's got discounts if book online then. When I went home, I told my bro I was going to see this exhibition. My brother said "Disgusting." or something like that. I was like, "Huh?? What? What is disgusting? Just an exhibition."

The thing was, I did not know it's an exhibition of real human bodies. I thought it's just wax figures. So my bro said "Yalah, real human bodies." I got absolutely excited when I heard that, "OH REALLY???! GREAT! I LIKE!" hahaha....................

So I went with Jessie and her sister-in-law. The plastinates looked plastic. So, you really don't feel disgusted by it. They looked like they are still wet. You have to keep reminding yourself that those, those are real human being. It's really amazing, how they preserved the bodies and arranged in such aesthetical ways.

I looked into the eyes of the plastinates, and reminded myself, this is a real person's eyes, that once were gleaming with life too. It's a really strange feeling. It's hard to describe, how I felt when I was standing there, looking at dead people in all sorts of postures. And I respect these people. They donated their bodies. Even though once we died, we wouldn't know, but the thought of having your own body being cut and dissected and exposed like that, is not something people will be willing to even think about, especially for Asians. Will I one day be the one who is willing to donate my body? I don't think so. I want my body to be cremated and my ashes be sprinkled into the sea.

There was also a squid, octopus, deers, a horse and a giraffe. The horse was humongous!! Gosh... I never knew a horse can be that big. Those in the zoo, I know they are ponies, but still I never knew a horse is THAT big.......... It's scary... Looks like a dinosaur of some sort. The giraffe was huge too! And really tall. Why is it I didn't really feel anything special about giraffe when I saw it at the zoo...??? Perhaps cos we're viewing the giraffes (at the zoo) on a high rise platform...

Everyone should go and see this exhibition. It's fantastic!

No comments: