Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Still can't believe he's dead

Steve Irwin is dead.

I still can’t believe it. I was so shaken by this news that I almost cried for a man I never met. (I’d probably cry out loud the day David Attenborough dies…)

I still think about this matter every other hour. He is one of the men I admired most. At first I thought it was Jeff Corwin who died, for Steve Irwin was always so confident in any situation (when working with dangerous animals), despite it seemed extremely dangerous to us. But he knew the animals’ behaviour well than anybody.

“Australian awestruck by global outpouring of shock over the death of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin”, reported a newspaper. I was surprised by that too. I was also surprised by the reactions of friends and people around me. It seems that everyone in the world likes and respects him for what he did for wildlife and conservation. That’s some remarkable achievement.

I believe he would be happy to die this way, of cos I’m sure he’d choose not to die if he could, but he died doing what he loved, that’s a consolation. If I were to die, I hope I’d die like him, die doing what I love. I always thought, I don’t mind if I were to die while diving, because that’s what I love to do. To die in the embrace of nature, I don’t mind at all. And I will smile in heaven, yes, in heaven I will be, because I’m such an angel. Hahaha… If I die in the sea, don’t be sad for me, for I will smile in heaven.

I’ve posted this before but I had to quote this again:

Carson Ray... 1989
If I should die beneath the sea --
What e'er the circumstance may be --
I only ask that you not cry
For such a lucky one as I.

But, rather, weep for those alive
Who know not what it is to dive
Into the planet's liquid heart
And of God's ocean be a part.

For even Christ must envy all
Who dive along the ocean's wall;
Though wind and sea His will obeys,
He only walked upon the waves.

And may I ask for one thing more?
A simple cross beside the shore.
Below my name inscribe for me:
Lost to the earth, but found at sea.

No comments: