Saturday, October 21, 2006

It felt so... good

I was so brave today~~

There I was, queuing with the lot of people outside Kranji MRT station, waiting for a bus that seemed like it's never gonna come. I was seriously considering walking from there to the checkpoint. By bus, it takes about 10minutes, I guess it'll take about 30minutes to walk? But then I wasn't sure of the road, it's quite simple, but being an-always-lost-queen, I didn't want to gamble.

So, as usual, people are eyeing chances for them to cut queue. It's a norm. About 1+ year ago, I told myself I will not let anybody cut my queue again. I must at least make some noise about it whatever the outcome may be. However, since then, nobody cuts queue directly in front of me but far ahead, so there's nothing I can do about it.

Then today, well, actually it happens everyday, every time when there's long queue. Some people were standing outside of the queue. You know the tricks, they'd either slowly "blend in" to the beginning of the queue (no, those ppl in the queue won't complain) or, they'd come right in when the bus comes. 1000 out of 1000 times there won't be any complaint. As long as you are able to live with your conscience you can cut queue everywhere you like and you won't be stopped.

I've had enough.

The bus came. People outside the q, naturally moved right in as if they WERE in the q. I then shouted "HEY, DON'T CUT QUEUE LAH!". I shouted loudly. Those people, guys and girls, caught in surprised, stopped for a mere one second (perhaps less than that) and continued to get onto the bus. Seriously, do you think I was really hoping that my action will cause them to move out of the queue? Ppplease.. Not at all. These "thick face" people would never move out of the queue just because some crazy woman was shouting at them.

I wasn't angry. I've passed that phrase. People are "trained" to get used to this. I just wanted to make some noise, wanted to make them know that their inconsiderate action has not gone unnoticed.

So people continued to get on the bus. I wasn't finished, and I yelled again "STUPID PEOPLE!".

Then when I was about to get on the bus, another young woman came cutting the queue, so again, I yelled, this time, in Chinese ,
"小姐! 排队啦! 每个人都在排队!" (Miss, queue up! Everybody is queuing!).
She too was caught in surprised by someone yelling at her. I bet she's done it a million times and not once had anybody chided her.

She was stunned for a few seconds, then she probably felt very disgruntled, so she retaliated ,
"关你什么事啊??" (what's it got to do with you??).
Now that's a stupid statement. Hello? You're cutting my queue, duh... So then we exchanged "conversation" :

I said LOUDLY, "什么不关我的事? 我在排队leh! 每个人都在排队!".(What nothing to do with me? I am in the q, everyone is in the q!)

(we're both in the bus now)
Then I think she said "多事", "cheebye!". (busybody! "cheebye" is foul language which means vagina)

Then I said very loudly "没文化!" (uncivilized!) (I should have answered : why? you don't have cheebye is it?)

I was all "geared up" in preparation for her next retaliation. But she didn't say anything back. I was glad she didn't continue this "conversation" with me, because it won't be to my advantage if it continues. The people in the bus would probably got fed up and yelled at both of us to shut up. Nobody would come to my aid just because the girl has cut queue. They'd only think we're both disturbing their peaceful mind in the bus.

When I was in the q and people started "gathering" around the beginning of the q, I was contemplating what I can do. I was even thinking about going up there, pulling those people's backpack and drag them out of the queue one by one. But of course, I didn't.

When there's no q, you'd have no choice but to squeeze with all these uncivilized people in order to get on the bus (so you become one of them). Else, you'd probably managed to get on the bus after, say, 5 hours. But when there's a clear q, I cannot accept people not queuing. It's just plain uncivilized. Hong Kong author 倪匡said, the practice of queuing is the most civilized thing in mankind. Very true.

I once heard some Singaporeans said (at the bus stand after Malaysia checkpoint), "Why won’t people queue up?". Yeah, why? Well, because they are uncivilized. I really despised these people. Such a disgrace. Understandably, everyone wants to go home fast, everyone wants to get on the next bus, but for God's sake, QUEUE UP! Then everybody will get his/her chance!

I was so proud of what I did. I had done similar things (but not as loud) before but it's always when I was with a guy. Because chances of me being beaten up is a hell lot lesser. Haha...but this time, I was alone and I was so brave. All the time, I talked loudly with my head held high. I didn't even care if anybody was looking at me.

I am feeling so good now for what I did. Even though I didn't cause them to go back into the queue, I thought I had done the right thing. I wonder how those queue cutting people felt when I yelled at them. They certainly did not expect that. Do they have the slightest guilt? I doubt so. And the young woman who quarreled with me, I wonder how she's feeling now. Feeling very angry that someone chided her? Is she having a sleepless night because someone has yelled at her in public like that? Or she doesn't mind it at all and is sleeping very soundly right now? She must be at least felt very angry when I yelled at her that she没文化! hehehe.........
For she'd probably never imagined in her life time that someone would scold her as "uncivilized"! Wahahahahaha… I am feeling sooooo fine right now......

No comments: