Saturday, September 08, 2007

Books~

After about one and a half month reading Harry Potter over and over again, I finally put it down. I am guessing my dvd player has spoilt because I watched Harry POtter too many times. hahaha...

Went to Kinokuniya and got myself a couple of new books to stop myself from reading Harry Potter again. Well, I will STILL re-read Harry Potter again for sure, but now I should read some other stuffs.

There are soooo many books about the state of our planet, conservation, how to do our own bits to save the planet, lots and lots of them. Not that I don't care about that I just don't think it'll be interesting reading.

In the end, I chose "A Wild Life", it's about an "accidental conservationist" in Africa. It is very interesting, I am now into the first couple of chapters. And I love it. I imagined how the view and animals would be like from the description of the author. And I hope I could just fly to Africa now.

The second book, "The Shackled Continent", it's about Africa too. Talks about why is Africa so poor, and how a few countries, for eg, Botswana has advanced and not in the typical poverty state like the rest.
Then today my brother and I went to Harris in JB. And we bought "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea" and "The Swiss Family Robinson". My bro has read these before. I know these are famous classics but I haven't read them, believe it or not. So I thought I should read it.
There are different publishers for these classics, some are very cheap. I wanted these two cos their covers look very pretty. hahaha... I am a big sucker for nice packaging...
It feels so good to buy and read book. I prefer buying books than borrowing books from the library. Cos I like feeling of owning the books.

By the way, anybody has any idea about getting rid of some unwanted books? They are new ones. Some are fictions, etc that I think not worth to keep the book. Yet I can't possibly throw these readable, new books into the dustbin, such a waste! I hope I can pass to people who wants it and after they read it they can either give it to other people or keep it. My bro said just drop them in the library's "book drop". But I feel like it's not right...

Recently I read about Book Cross in the paper. Maybe I can donate the books to them.

3 comments:

Ah Siang said...

Swiss Family Robinson is one of my favorite classics when I am young. :)

Adventures of Munshi Abdullah is another of my favorite which I hardly find it in Bookstores these days.

We should pull some books and donate it to third world countries.

I came across an event at Orchard, where an oragnization is selling donated books and all the proceeds goes to charity.

Michelle said...

hmm.. why are things always so coincident? i am talking to ST about 3rd world country and there your comment mentioned 3rd world country!

If i ever see that munshi abdullah book i'll tell you~

i dun want to buy donated books, i want to donate books :D

Unknown said...

can you "donate" some of your unwanted fictions book to me? cos my cousin loves to read fictions book, but she always borrow from library... YY :)