Sunday, June 01, 2008

Cruelty of life

I was watching a tv programme with my mum yesterday. It was about the difficulties faced by an old couple, whom the husband has had business failure, became a taxi driver after that and then... he had a stroke. Now he can't work, has difficulty walking. His wife who has been a housewife all these years, have to go out and work. It was tough, to both the husband and herself.

The expression on the husband's face, made my heart wrenched. Even when he's not talking.

I think my father's expression was not unlike this man on the show, when he knew he had kidney failure disease, about 5 years ago. Perhaps, I chose not to look at that time.. I am lucky. I have a very strong mother. She was on the verge of breaking down too, I know. But she hangs on. I don't know if I can ever be as strong as my mother.

The couple on the show, both their daughters left them, just like that. The elder one, sent a message to her mother, telling her to regard it as if she never gave birth to her. What a cruel thing to say. We won't know what happened in that family. Perhaps they have their problems, perhaps the daughter think she did not have love in the family. Perhaps the parents dote their daughter well but the daughter just left with some men. We outsiders will never know. However, unless the parents had been an extremely irresponsible parents, saying that to your mother, is such a cruel thing. Just leave the old folks on their own, is even crueler. But I can't judge them. Because I don't know what happened in the family.

It's just that, the look on the man's face, really bring back sad feelings when we first knew about my father's condition. I didn't pay much attention to my father. And he said something that made me regret what I have not done enough : concern. I will never forgive myself for that. Years passed. I still cry every time I think of what he said. I don't know if I will ever stop crying when I think of that. We had hurt him for not concerning enough. Hurt him so deeply. The scar is there. I don't know if what I can do now will make that scar heals a bit better. But I try. But still, I will not forgive myself for the pain and hurt we caused.

Therefore when I watched the show, that the 2 daughters left the parents just like that, I feel extremely sad. Us being the sons and daughters, really should care more about our parents. We can't just run away...... They are our parents, we have their blood....

Life is cruel. That's what I always say and it is true. Life is not just about great things, happy things. I do not think I am being pessimistic but I am merely speaking the truth.

The most important thing in our life is health. But not everybody lives healthyly till the day he/she died. Somewhere some people, are just going to suffer with sickness. Somewhere some people, will be struggling with starvation. Somewhere some old people, are living alone, suffering from starvation, starvation of food, starvation of love. This is, the cruelty of life.

1 comment:

SoupLad said...

reality bites, karma engulfs