Sunday, June 01, 2008

Great news

It's such a great news. Resorts World at Sentosa, I think this is the hotel at the integrated resort on Sentosa? They, most likely, will not to put shark fins in their restaurant menu when the hotel officially opens. What a great news isn't it?

They are working with WildAid and Acres organisation and will have a fund to sponsor, support research and conservation effort related to marine life.

If some special VIP guests request for shark fins, they will oblige, said the management, it is a business decision. But shark fins will not be on the menu. "We believe we can make a difference", said the spokeswoman. Hell yeah~! What a wise decision!

It is such a happy thing to know that a commercial entity would make such decision. It makes a difference, a big difference. At least it is a start.

I think shark conservation education is working. When I mentioned about this news to my mother and my aunts, to my surprise they all said it is a good thing~ My mother has long supported "say no to sharkfins" but my mum, in my opinion, is quite open minded about things (except sex that is!). So it doesn't come a surprise for me that she agrees that wedding dinners should not have sharkfins.

When 2 of my aunts also agree that we should not eat sharkfins because it is cruel, I am really surprise. Most of the elderly might be aware that the way sharkfins are obtained is cruel but most of them regard "face" more important than whether or not sharks are dying in the sea. Because traditionally, sharkfins is a must in Chinese wedding banquets. So, I really think shark conservation education is working. Way to go~!

No comments: