Thursday, July 26, 2007

School time

I miss the time in secondary school, I actually miss it. Never thought I would. I didn't really like school. I am kind of a lazy student.

I don't miss primary school time though. The teachers in private Chinese schools were all about money. You will be popular with the teachers if you are rich. Being poor, it's like an outcast. Well I might be exaggerated it a little bit but I feel like using the word "outcast". hahaha...

In primary school the friends I hung around with were the rich ones. No special reasons but just so happened that we got along well. It’s not good for my self-esteem, mixing with those rich ones during those days, since the teachers’ eyes were shining with dollar signs. So one important lesson primary school taught me was that, those who got the money, rule. I have no special memory about primary school apart from this. Good eh? Fortunately, my self-esteem wasn’t destroyed at that time. I don’t know, maybe the rebellious side of me won over it. And now I seem to have too much self-esteem till almost narcissistic (no such word in Encarta but there is in my Nokia handphone’s dictionary).

Secondary school was more memorable. It was then I made some best friends. And there were some nice memories :

happy times : we crazily chased over International junior volleyball players all over hotels in JB ; we (only students) ourselves held badminton tournament;

“horrifying” times : I got ZERO mark in Chemistry monthly test;

sad time : being short and discriminated and teased;

interesting times : went to some ulu (remote) school for chess competition, where ONE taxi took all 7 of us, and stopped to consider taking one more passenger……… ;

tough times : we always had to wait for the bus that seemed never going to come; while walking through the bush (short cut) to take bus, it rained and we along with our books were drenched;

crazy times : I retorted at some gang students thinking that she was criticizing my best friend out loud (I never found out whether she was indeed criticizing my best friend or not…) such impulsion… ;

secret times : well, not exactly… it’s an open secret that I was fond of my Shixiong;

guilty times : my best friend ST and I idling around when the rest of the class buried their heads in books and working hard;

memorable times : ST, EK and I always went A&W thinking to study together (while having mouth watering fast food) which always ended up ST and I chatting about non-study related stuff while EK concentrating on the homework ;

“weird teacher” times : an Indian teacher who must had something wrong in the head kept punishing us over the slightest thing (sort of like Severus Snape). Rumour has it that he once ate a chalk when he got very angry;

satisfying times : art lessons which I was rather good at sometimes (depending what we had to draw)

Those were the days... It's been so many years. Starting to get old. hahaha... as my friend Patrick rightly put it, when you start to think "those were the days", it means you are getting old.... haha...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seemed like those secondary days were very memorable... I loud out loud when I read "tough time" - waiting for bus that seemed never come, this is very true...