Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Superstitions

I am very sick and tired of Chinese senseless superstitions. Especially about babies.

There are a whole "truck" of things which we are not supposed to do or say in front of the new born. For instance, you are not to take photos of the new born baby. For fear of what? I forgot. Never really cared. I always seek the parents’ permission if I wish to take pictures of their new born. There was once, I got the parents’ permission as usual but was stopped by an elderly before I take the photo. You know how aunties are, and it wasn’t pleasant. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling, at least, to me, being stopped like that. I hate it.

Then there were plenty of things you are not supposed to say. You are not to compliment the baby being good (乖), didn’t cry a lot, you are not to say the baby is pretty, you are not to say the baby is cute, etc etc. Whatever nice things about the baby, you are not supposed to say in front of the baby, for fear of the baby growing the opposite.

So? No offence to the parents. So then what the hell am I supposed to say? That your baby is ugly? Your baby is naughty? I mean, COME ON. I understand all parents want the best for their kids, want to avoid anything negative. But this is really a senseless believe. Though superstition is always senseless...

When you see a new born, you aren’t supposed to keep quiet either. Imagine you see your friend’s new born and just remain silence. Is that good? No, it’s not. Your friend will for sure wonder if there’s anything wrong with his/her baby that cause you to keep to your silence.

So tell me, what the hell am I supposed to say? I am really sick and tired of always being nudged or being told “shh” or “don’t say that” by people (usually not the baby’s parents) whenever I compliment the baby. Should I say then, “Oh, their baby is soooo naughty…”? Imagine what the expression of the parents will turn into.

I don’t know. I consider myself not superstitious kind of person. Well, most of the time, if not always. Maybe people will think I’m inconsiderate but honestly, seriously, I reckon this is really the most ridiculous superstition of all.

No comments: