Friday, August 08, 2008

2008 Beijing Olympic

Just watch the first half of 2008 Beijing Olympic Games opening ceremony. It started with 29 giant footsteps in the air made by fireworks. Very impressive, this one. The following performance, I personally didn't like it tremendously. But you have to take your hats off the Chinese people for their ability to do such things in such unison. I believe in the world, only Chinese and Japanese people can manage that. Not including maybe the Russian and North Korean army though.

In the beginning part, the Olympic symbol of 5 circles raised from the floor into the air, pretty awesome, like magic.

After that came the part of the Olympic theme song, performed by the amazing Sarah Brightman and a famous Chinese singer. Sarah Brightman dressed in a beautiful gown whereas the male Chinese singer....... T-SHIRT. Ya, t-shirt.. Gosh.... Why didn't he wear something formal??? A tuxedo or something. It's almost an eyesore seeing him standing next to the beautiful Sarah Brightman.

By the way, Sarah Brightman was really awesome. Although the song wasn't nice. This is Sarah Brightman's second performance in Olympic Games, amazing.

I looked back the passed major games opening ceremony, in particular, 1992's Barcelona Olympic and 2006's Doha Asian Games. These two are my FAVOURITES.

If I remember correctly, the 1992 Barcelona Olympic song was broadcast long before the game started. This should be the way isn't it.. Afterall the game is only 10+days. They should let people listen and learn the song. But China kept it a secret until the ceremony. They announced the singers only 1 day before the ceremony. Why the secrecy??? Everything is so secret with the Chinese. And may I say it again, the song wasn't nice at all. You hear it once and you'll totally forget it. (9th Aug Note: Ohhhh, how forgetful am I...?? I had been listening to the Beijing Olympic song over and over again on radio.. and I had been saying it wasn't nice. And I forgot about that completely..)

Whereas the Barcelona song, check it out here. It's a CLASSIC.


I love Sarah Brightman and Jose Carreras.

The lighting of the torch in the Barcelona game, was REALLY impressive. It was lighted by an arrow. Absolutely amazing. I believe watching that at that time, people must have hold their breath before the arrow fell into the cauldron.


And then there was the 2006 Doha Asian Games. I don't remember the song, was it the one sang by Jackie Cheung? Wasn't very impressive either. But the opening ceremony was EXTREMELY impressive. Especially the torch lighting part. The prince of Qatar rode on a stallion up an extremely steep ramp of 25 degrees. The horse almost slipped! as it was raining before. But the prince controlled the horse and reached the top to light the cauldron. Whew.. I remember my heart almost stopped when the horse stopped momentarily... Gosh, can you imagine the shame if the prince and the horse fail to reach the top and worse, tumble back to the ground??? Thank God that never happened. It was like watching the Arabian Night story.. A prince! On a horse! ha! Amazing. And btw, the prince is very handsome. hehe.



Beijing Olympic opening ceremony is not over yet. I am looking forward to see the lighting of the torch. But I believe Barcelona and Doha will still be my favourites.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! This post on the Olympics is great – thanks. Did you know you can grab live images from www.picapp.com - Check it out!