Saturday, June 13, 2009

Can you give me some money?

I was in the bus, this man approached me and asked for some money and said that because he couldn't find a job.

I politely refused by smiling and shook my head.

But I felt bad.

He went back to his seat behind (there're not a lot of ppl on the upper deck). A while later he approached another woman and she shook her head too.

I don't like this happening to me but it happens all the time. I mean, there's a big possibility that he's a drug addict or someone who is lazy to get a job. My bro said nowadays there're a lot of young people beg for living, not because they are disabled, not because they can't find a job. But they simply didn't try to find a job and chose this easier way to get money.

I said I don't like this because, I could just give him a couple of bucks, no matter he's telling the truth or not. I can just treat it as any donation. If he's lying, he's the one committing a sin. However, I don't like to be cheated. I don't like the idea that my hard earn money goes to someone who is not genuinely in need of help.

And this left me in a dilemma EVERY TIME. I feel guilty for not giving him only a couple of bucks, in case he's telling the truth. But I also feel disgruntled if I give him the money when I'm unable to know whether he was telling the truth.

And it made me feel like a bad person.

I was cheated by a fake monk before, bastard Chinese national fake monk. WHen I see such fake monk again on the street I feel like kicking their asses. And we've all encountered people who said they've lost their wallet and asked for a few bucks to take bus home or something. Those are definitely fraud. Next time I meet such people, I will tell him "I bring you to police station and you ask the policeman to help you." And see what his response is.

What would you do if it were you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always a dilemma for most people, and rightly so, you do not want to be cheated. Another thought - some people do give just a small sum with the believe and hope that it would be of help to the other person to tie him/her over the moment.

Michelle said...

ya i know. sometimes i do feel like just giving him/her a few bucks but then.. i dunno. tat's why always in a dilemma.