Thursday, March 23, 2006

Singapore and JB food

How come ice kacang in Singapore are without chocolate syrup?? Ice kacang in JB are mostly with chocolate syrup. You'd feel something is missing without it...

Singapore and JB are so close but our food actually are quite different. Such as laksa, Singaporeans called JB laksa as curry mee... I don't like Katong laksa... hate it.. and in JB there's no "thick meehoon" (粗米粉). In Singapore when we order laksa, if you never specify what you want then you'd always get thick meehoon. Sometimes I forgot to tell them and I'll get sooo... disappointed when I got my food... Cos I hate thick meehoon.

JB people always say Singapore food cannot be compared to JB/Malaysia.. But I personally feel : why the comparison? Different people different cooking style. Different places different taste (such bad english, I know.. ). And different taste suits different people. I do find some food here are very delicious.

I will only say I don't like Singapore laksa because it is not my taste. I won't say, Singapore laksa does not taste good or Singaproe laksa can't be compared to JB laksa.
I was told that a German once said Tiger beer sucks (said so with a totally disgusted face), and their beers are the best.... No matter what it is: food, lifestyle, culture, rules, whatever, you just can't compare these from 2 different environment, places, countries, etc... You grow up in Singapore, most likely you would love Singapore laksa. I grew up eating JB laksa, so naturally I prefer JB laksa. As simples as that. No comparison between the two is necessary.

Right now, I kind of miss Sarawak laksa. Some say it tastes like instant curry mee.. hahaha.. but still I quite like it. Maybe because I like instant noodle..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ice Kacang originated from a uncle cycle to the kampong selling Ice Ball with colour syrup to the kampong boy in 60s and 70s. so its don't have chocolate syrup on it. putting chocolate kills its original tase and is abit like drawing a snake with legs.

Michelle said...

u r exaggerating. wat drawing a snake with legs. as i said i grew up eating such things then i'll like such things. i grew up eating ice kacang with chocolate then i feel ice kacang tastes better with chocolate.