Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Rain and coffee and books

Yesterday was the best night ever~ It basically rained from Sunday morning until today, Tuesday, it’s still raining.

I love it when it rains in the evening and through out the night. What I love to do when it rains in the evening, is not to go straight to sleep (though it’s really comfy). I love to have a cup of coffee and read. I have this habit of making myself a cup of coffee (if kopitiam’s kopi-o is not available) during rainy evening since an old Nescafe tv commercial, where it showed a woman drinking her Nescafe, looking out the window at the rain. I still remember the commercial’s tune. It warms my heart whenever I hear that commercial tune. Hahaha.. but of course, that’s years ago. More than 10years at least.

So yesterday I bought kopi-o from kopitiam. It rained and stopped over and over again. It’s a shame that I couldn’t open my window wider as the rain will be splattered into my room.

By the way, I was so happy that I went to Kinokuniya on Sunday despite the terrible crowd… because Kino offered 20% discount storewide during the last Sat and Sun~ I bought 2 Japanese practice books and I couldn’t resist another :

Robert Winston is the scientist who created the documentary "Child Of Our Time".
I didn’t know about the discount then. I was considering to buy this book after I’ve finished what I am currently reading, The Historian (below). But I don't quite like to go Orchard.. so to save myself the trouble I decided to buy it. ANd I was so happy to know that there's 20% discount~! I saved a total of about S$11~

The Historian is a fiction about vampires in our world now. I've only read about 1/5 of it. I am a timid person when comes to horror movie or books. I will get scared even if it's only a mysteries story. This book is not horror but more to mystery. But I was ehm, kind of scared already. So after I read this, I have to read or watch something more cheerful before I go to bed. hahahaha.. else, I think I'd scare myself to death

So after I read a few chapters of The Historian, I read The Story of God instead. It basically talks about religion and science. I was forever intrigued by people who are very religious, how they are so devoted to the God(s) they believe. I am not able to do that. So I bought the book to see what Professor Lord Winston has to say.

Intrigued as I am to the topic, it's still a somewhat serious topic. And it's not a book of captivating plots like Da Vinci Code. So when I started to read this book, I thought I'd sure end up sleepy after a few pages... but I surprised myself to continue reading it and refused to go to bed. I guess part of it because it was raining and it feels so good to read at such quiet (despite the rain) time. I read until 1:30am but I wasn't sleepy. I could continue reading...but I was sure I will be tired at work the next day... So I had to put down the books and went to sleep.

It was such a great evening.

And it rained the whole night, made it really cozy to sleep. Even though I slept late but it was a fine night.

No comments: