Friday, December 16, 2005

Chill at Orchard Road

Took half a day’s leave yesterday to attend my Japanese language school’s graduation dinner. Went DeliFrance to have my lunch. I ordered something called “Salmon Spinach Quiche”… no idea how to pronounce this…I’ve never eaten this weird puff-like thing. After I tasted it…it wasn’t awful, wasn’t tasty… just… weird… I couldn’t finish it, made me want to puke after eating 2/3 of it…

I’ve got too much time to spend before the graduation dinner which was at 6:45pm, so I went to Orchard to see the display of photographs taken by a French photographer named Yann Arthus-Bertrand. The collection is called “Earth From Above”, which, if not mistaken, is being sold in various bookstores. Each of the photos being displayed there are at least 5 feet wide. Each and everyone of them is very beautiful, something we don't usually see, as the name suggested, they are mainly views from above.
I didn’t have my camera with me though… couldn’t put it up here. The collection covered various places on earth, from the breathtakingly beautiful coral sea of Bora Bora, Polynesia to a heart wrenching graveyard of tanks in Kuwait. This collection took 3 years to complete. Very interesting indeed. (I really should have brought my camera with me at all times…)

Something very irritating happened. While I was immersed in the beauty of these photos, somebody came over, “Excuse me, Miss, I’m from……… charity… …… …. hope…… help…… need help… …… ……” blahblah blahblahblah…. I really couldn’t catch clearly what she was saying except that she’s from some charity, as she talked really fast. I shook my head and merely uttered, “No, thank you.”. She walked away.

Then not even 3 seconds later, another girl approached me, with the same “speech” of “…charity…… help… need help….” She’s from yet another charity organization.

I am truly annoyed by them. Before anyone starts scolding me for being cold hearted, I AM NOT. I am not against their charity work, I am fine with it IF they were to approach me at MRT entrances/exits or shopping malls, etc… but NOT when I was so immersed in appreciating the fine work of a fine photographer which took him 3years to complete. Imagine yourself in a gallery, looking at some fine arts and suddenly being asked, “Would you like to donate?” It’ll spoilt everything. They should restrict these charity workers from entering the space of 25meters from the photo display. 25m is not too much, the charity workers can ask all they want for donation once people have finished with the photos. But while we’re still at it, please, DON’T.

After I finished with the photos, I still had approximately one hour to kill. So I bought a cup of ice-blended mocha and chilled at Coffee Bean. This is the first time ever I sat in the middle of Orchard Road, all by myself. Something I could not have possibly done months back… (This is something so normal for some people, but not for me. Years back, I’d rather starve than having meals alone… )
It’s not bad, yeah.. not bad at all.

No comments: