Sunday, January 14, 2007

Phuket August '05 - Museum (2)

Now, the marvellous "Jewel Boxes"~~~ They are neither oysters nor thorny oysters but a family of rock clams.



Now these 2 photos, are thorny oysters.


I named these, "coconut shells".

This is a large grey piece of limestone with polished coniatites (primitive ammonites) from Morocco, approximately 350 million years old. 350 million years old.... I can't even imagine... a time that long.... unimaginable...

Another bright apple green shells. Amazingly striking colour~ makes me want to eat it.

Shells no. 11, looks like chocolate eh?
(Funny, while writing all these comments, I kept having a rendezvous feeling that I've written them before.. for other posts [except the first 3 written in 2005] as well. But I am sure I didn't. I guess it's because when I was taking their photos, or when organizing these photos, I already have these comments that I thought of writing on my mind...)




If I am not mistaken, these are called, "Venus Shells". They have heart shapes. Sooooo prettyyy....



So colourful~~~

These have very sweet purple colour, but the photo somehow altered that colour slightly.

Lobsters on the move~!

One of my favourites, Nautilus.
Awesome marine creature. Copied from Wiki "Having survived relatively unchanged for millions of years, nautiluses represent the only living members of the subclass Nautiloidea, and are often considered to be "living fossils."

This has a different appearance.

These are called Volutes.

"Turbo Sarmaticus", nice name.

I love these~ I am not sure if they are called "unicorn shells".. because the first thing that come to your thought upon seeing this would be "unicorn". However their scientific name is "Tibia Fusus Fusus".

These are different species.

My bro acting surprised...................

me..


me......


and me..............!


You know, one thing is very very ironic. The museum is at the basement. After you see all these collections, when you come up the first floor, you see this....

So many shells being sold. Soon, they'll be no more shells in the ocean to be seen by human.
So many big cowries. We hardly see cowries when diving. Got lah, but not very frequent. Yet they were so many being sold..... such a pity... and makes me heartpain.

No comments: