Friday, January 20, 2006

Currency-filled-red-red-packet

It’s that time of the year again, not Xmas, but Chinese New Year.

3 of my still-in-contact-ex-classmate-friends got married in year 2005. Prior to that, most of my friends are either single and available or attached. So there wasn’t much “debate” during the past CNY. So now this coming CNY, we have 3 married couples. Guess we would be debating whether or not they should give us the currency-filled-red-red-packet. (I avoided the word “money” on purpose)

I sent an email to my friends stating It is against my policy to receive the red-red-thing from same generation of friends. Hehe… I couldn’t resist using the phrase “against my policy”… It just popped in my head… and I thought it sounds fun…

Anyway, I am really against the idea of married friends giving us, the unmarried ones angpow. Some friends think they should give, some feel they must, some say whatever, for me personally, I say no need. It’s just so weird and awkward, ok? Unless I have kids then they should give angpow to my kids and vice versa. Angpow is something to give from senior (长辈) to junior(小辈) mah... Among friends.. no need what… It would feel like they suddenly become my长辈 overnight…

No comments: